Rideau Canal: Lower Nicholsons Lockstation

   
Category: Arts and Heritage
Types: Attractions, Historic Sites
Region: Eastern Ontario
Address: Lock 18, Andrewsville
Phone: 613-283-5170
Rideau Canal:  Lower Nicholsons Lockstation

  Map - Driving Directions       Map - Find Nearby Businesses

LOWER NICHOLSONS LOCKSTATION A few hundred yards downstream from Clowes, on the opposite side of the river, is Nicholsons Lockstation. The lockstation was named after Robert Nicholson, a Loyalist immigrant. In 1861 a man named Rufus Andrews located a flour mill adjacent to the lock. By 1880 the population of what was by then known as Andrewsville had grown to 200. Andrews eventually sold his sawmill and it operated under a number of different owners until 1899 when it was bought by Alonzo Bowen. Lockstation services: parking, charts and permit sales, on-site identification, picnic areas, day use docking, boater camping and overnight mooring. Swimming, fishing and boat watching are here.

Historic Site Public Washrooms Picnic Tables/Area

Move your mouse cursor over each icon for more info!

MasterCard Cash / Travellers Cheques Visa
 

Find It Fast!

Search by company name or leave it blank to use the category search, then click GO!

or

For more options click here.